For most people, the thought of speaking in public simply scares the _____out of them! Yes, it ranks very high on the Stress Scale, and causes confident, successful people to be in the swirl of anxiety, fear, and sweaty palms and arm pits. I’ve even seen people faint and blank out….Ok, so some of these symptoms are drastic and extreme, yet, this can happen to anyone.
As entrepreneurs, leaders, and change agents, we must get our message out to our audience and tribe. We do this because we care. Our message drives us, especially for mission-based businesses. Some of us meet our clients through speaking, both on-line and off-line, and we can choose to speak in formal presentations or at informal gatherings with one or more people.
Regardless, it is imperative that you have a clear message and that you have done the work to deliver it with a level of mastery that is recognized. Or else, you will be recognized as someone ill-prepared and unprofessional.
A little-known fact about me….during the 80’s I led workshops in Executive Presentation Skills to Fortune companies in the U.S. I was trained by the best of the best at the time, national leaders, and then I led customized workshops to corporate clients who were members of the Human Resources Consulting Association that I worked for. It was a different time in life, and long before the internet and PowerPoint. Currently, I have been working on my own presentations, a signature talk, online programs, and honing my message while converting new clients from these talks. I have been hosting women entrepreneurs for 7 years as they present their message and make their offers to the WPDN audience in ATL. I’ve invested a lot in my training and coaching so that I can make a difference for you.
I’m committed that entrepreneurs are profitable! If we are not profitable, and don’t have enough money, clients, and transformation, then that is just sad! We make no impact. Presentations lead to clients and profits. So many of you are leaving thousands of dollars on the table
To get you started, here are my 5 P’s to Deliver Profitable Presentations:
- Purpose of the Presentation – Get a clear intention, and define the purpose and end game of your message. Why are you giving this presentation? How will people be impacted? How do you want to leave the audience? And what is your “call to action”?
- Prepare – Map out your message, talking points, and have it be audience-focused. Don’t take 20 min. talking about you, your story, and your background. Give this section approximately three minutes, for you need to establish credibility, and yet hold the attention of your audience. What is your sequence of sharing information? What must you include and exclude? You can easily spot a newbie for they ramble, use notes or index cards and don’t seem connected to their message. Do the work. Honor your audience. Be with your audience.
- PowerPoint or not? – Using slides can be a plus. They are a “visual aid”, not the entire presentation. In a lengthy presentation it’s a gift to your audience, especially if you plan to teach or impart important information. If you have 20 minutes or less, I’d avoid using slides or any technology except for a microphone. Slides should be branded, and professionally done. And they can be used in online presentations and webinars, too. Make sure they can be seen, read, and that they are short and to the point. No mouse-print!
- Practice – Practice, practice and practice again! Practice leads to profits. Be prepared and polished, and that you can deliver this presentation on the fly, in a pinch, or despite what happens with technology. Use one card or paper for reference, but never ever, every read your presentation. It disconnects you from your audience and that is who you came to connect with.
- Profit – Craft a meaningful “offer”, either a free offer or low-ticket offer. Make it easy for people to register or purchase it, and give yourself enough time to position the offer with your audience. This takes planning, practicing and it’s so vitally important. This is where you get to deliver your transformation and make your impact.
If you would like guidance and support as you craft your message, signature talk, or sales presentation, please contact me. Don’t postpone your profitability, joy and success! Let’s do this, so you, too, can get clients everywhere!